1952 Vincent Black Lightning

Saturday 7 November 2009

Lucy gets a new swingarm

Today's the day I replaced Lucy's swingarm with the replacement one I've sprayed with hammerite. Too be fair, dismantling the backend was quite straight forward with no nut or bolt being too awkward and putting up any sort of fight. Even the swingarm pivot bolt came out easily. Here's a veiw of the resulting gap.

My plan to repair the original swingarm was quickly forgotten once I gave it a poke with a screw driver. Totally rotten and not worth the effort.

Fitting the replacement was no bother either and I'm chuffed with the completed job. Very smart. The new item does have a dent in it on the RHS, but it doesn't notice too much.

The only problem throughout the job was the discovery that a previous owner had bodged the rear caliper. Looks like the bleed nipple had been sheered off and a bolt, complete with some silicone was used to effect a repair. I've tapped out the caliper to 8mm and ordered a suitable bleed nipple, but for now I've bodged it wth another bolt. I have a working rear brake so I can use the bike for now, but will have to do a proper job before the MOT. One more thing done.



No comments:

Post a Comment