1952 Vincent Black Lightning

Thursday 19 May 2011

Hmmm!

Set about stripping the paint from Abigails' tank and the it's not looking good. First job is to get the worst off with paint stripper to see what lies beneath. Hate this job as everything gets covered in caustic goo and the shed stinks! Once the worst is off, I concentrate on cleaning up the seams and any other area I think is leaking so I can get a glimpse of what I'm up against. Eek! Bottom pictures don't do justice to the teabag I have for a tank. For most of the length of the LHS seam rust holes can be seen and I'm starting to doubt my original plan.
Off to my mate Tom for some technical advice. His diagnosis is that the tank is repairable but before it can be patched the resin liner inside will have to come out, and the job might get a tad expensive. Heyho. This is the tank I want so I'll have to press on.
Plan now is to seal the leaks externally with a suitable putty, soak the inside with acetone (nasty stuff), then chuck the tank in the cement mixer for a few hours with some bolts inside and one of the kids duvets on the outside.
Pictures of that fun afternoon to follow.





No comments:

Post a Comment