1952 Vincent Black Lightning

Wednesday 1 July 2009

Abigail ~ the story so far

Right then. I've introduced myself, now to introduce Abigail.

Abigail is a 1988 Honda XBR500H. I was given her by my mate Graham in April 2005 when I went looking for a project bike. My big idea was (and still is) to turn her into a 60's cafe racer. She was in a very rotten state when I got her and wasn't a runner with half of her missing and the other half knackered. Sadly, I didn't take too many digital photos back then so I can't post a record of what I had to start with. However, early into the project and I got this on the computer.The sharp eyed will notice the wheels are wrong. I wanted spokes for the look but disc brakes for the ride. What we have fitted is a Honda Dommie rear and a Transalp front. Later these hubs get laced to some 18" alloy rims with stainless spokes.
Leaping ahead, all is stripped and the frame gets 'cleaned' of all unnecessary clutter. The seat rails get extended and returned to form a continuous loop and bracketry is braised on to accept new tank, seat and side panels. I want the frame to be exposed and visible where possible to give that lean, basic, racer look. I also decided to dabble into moulding fibreglass parts like the tank, seat, side panels and front mudguard. This was a big mistake as you will see. Very, very time consuming as well as expensive and the results were disappointing. Here's a shot of the finished rolling chassis with the fibreglass parts mocked up.Here's another shot taken after I experimented with paint to see if I could create a silk purse from my pigs ear!

The only piece I'm going to keep is the seat hump and this is going to have to be re-painted.

I haven't talked engines yet have I. Investigation of the original motor proved that it wasn't fit for scrap! A snapped cam chain tensioner had lead to the cam chain jumping a tooth and bending every valve. Also fragments of the tensioner were to be found all around the clutch side which includes the oil pump. Up top, the cam lobes were worn out from lack of oil and the followers were no better. Inspection of the gearbox showed signs of heat damage and wear to the cogs so I reached the conclusion to trash the motor.
On the up side, before I bought Lucy (the vx800) I was the proud owner of a Honda Dominator 650S (Dolly). Tired old girl that she was, she has greatfully donated her motor to Abigail along with levers, switchgear, rear brake assembly and some much needed electrical parts. I haven't started work on the motor yet, but will keep this site informed as things progress.

So that's the background, what's next?? Well I'm off in search of an ali tank and front guard. I'll make the side panels from some sheet material to match and with a painted seathump, that'll be the bodywork done. I've a bin full of parts waiting to get cleaned, painted and fitted, so I'm working my way through those too.
I plan on updating this blog as and when bits get done. I'm hoping by doing this sort of stuff will keep me on track and plugging away at the project. Don't expect to finish any time soon, but I ain't in any rush.

No comments:

Post a Comment