1952 Vincent Black Lightning

Tuesday 7 July 2009

Lucys' first camp


Last weekend saw me and Lucy at the VJMC's 3rd Uttoxeter Classic Motorcycle Show. Too be honest, I'm not so fussed on the classic bike scene (too much polish and not enough riding), but friends of mine in the 'Thumperclub' were planning a rally based at the show.

I took friday off work and had a lazy start getting ready and packing Lucy. I hadn't tried out the panniers and tank bag before as it was all new kit. The bike before had a custom fitted set-up that was scrapped when she was. The biggest headache was my new Army surplus sleeping bag. I'd invested in an artic version ready for the winter rally season which meant a seriously bulky bag. In the end this was stashed in the tank bag on it's own with the rest of my kit in the panniers or the drysack on the seat. This is what Lucy looked like;

Although rainstorms were all around the country, I managed to dodge them all on the trip up. It was a lovely ride through the heart of Wales stopping at Craven Arms for lunch and fuel. Lucy didn't miss a beat and carried her load without complaint. Apart from not being able to see the clocks, I could have forgotten she was loaded at all.

Once at the showground it was time to make camp and await the lads. It wasn't long until we formed our own little village and the beers started to flow around the assorted BBQ's.

Here's a view of my home for the weekend. I pitched up a tarp shelter for either sunshade or as a rain shelter as you couldn't guess what the weather would bring.

The Show was pretty much as expected. Lots of shiney things and very expensive. To me the best bit was just to chill out with my mates and watching the cricket match played out just behind our camp. Uttoxeter lost, but invited us to the pavilion afterwards for a beer after our sterling work cheering (almost in all the right places).

Sunday saw the morning peppered with light showers, but the sun came out long enough to break camp in the dry. I decided to head for home down the Fosse Way to make a round trip of it. Fine weather stayed with me all the way to Gloucester but there my luck ran out. Home was a greatful sight and after sorting out Lucy and the kit I hit the bath before a family trip to the pub.
Lucy was a delight. Never straining under her load and never wandering from her line. She is a superb traveller and those that say the seat too narrow for touring are talking out their arses (either that or they are softy part time riders only used to weekend stuff!)
I'm already looking forward to the next trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment