1952 Vincent Black Lightning

Friday 28 September 2012

A gripping bed time read

Postman delivered my Haynes manual for Zed today and I'm chuffed to beans. These books are welded into my youth as a symbol of weekends and evenings spent trying to get the junk we rode around on working properly. Truth is, we probably caused more harm than good and always seemed to have bits left over!


Went to the DVLA office in Cardiff to find out about getting Zed registered. If I get a certificate from the VJMC proving age, an MOT certificate, insurance certificate, VAT form 414 (to do with importing from Italy) and fill in a V55/5 I should be ok. Doesn't matter what I do to the tin-ware just so long as I don't weld onto the frame.

The last bit is a problem... I'll want to weld a loop to the end of the seat rails and add mounting lugs. Nothing structural, but [apparently] they still count as "mods". Thing is the DVLA don't inspect the bike when I apply as it's over 10 years old. They rely on the MOT station to note any modifications from standard. There is a risk of getting tripped up, but it's low. If I keep things low key and tidy I reckon the MOT guy won't care, and probably wouldn't know if its original or not. I'm going to press on as planned once my dating certificate comes back from the VJMC. Fingers crossed for a kind MOT'er.

No comments:

Post a Comment