1952 Vincent Black Lightning

Tuesday 25 September 2012

Hmmm!

Firstly, let me say I'm still chuffed to beans with Zed, however.... I've had a bit of time to poke about and see what we've got, and there are quite a few issues which will need a bit of time and resource.

1 - Engine seems seized, or at least you can't get it to turn by ripping out the plugs, sticking it in gear and turning the rear wheel.
2 - Talking of 'putting her in gear' there seems to be only the one of those too.
3 - No movement at the throttle at all, which could be (and probably is) a jammed/broken cable.
4 - No front stopper either. looks dry of fluid, which always begs the question, where did it go??
5 - Clutch and front brake levers don't match, which seems odd and I've no idea which is the right one if either.
6 - Seat lock is broken, though the helmet lock works.
7 - Rear light /cowl looks out of line with the frame.
8 - Headlight lens cracked in two. The surround bezel also shows signs of a slide down the tarmac too.
9 - Few dents / rust spots on the tank.

All that said, the overall shape and appearance is exactly what I'm looking for for this build. The problem is to register the bike (a job best done before you begin modifying) I need an MOT certificate, which means sorting that lot out! Not too keen on that idea to be honest. I know all the above need to be done, it's just I don't want to do them twice. Once for registration and once as part of the build. Some of the tasks won't be included on the finished bike (seat, rear light, headlight etc).

Time for a think... Might be that as long as I get a manufacture date confirmed from the VJMC I might be able to complete registration once the project id finished. After all, I'm not modding the engine, suspension, brakes, wheels and [most of] the frame.

Research time!

No comments:

Post a Comment